Tuesday, January 29, 2008

What's a target?

I want to share more about my "vision" for this blog, what kinds of entries I plan to write about. Here's the conclusion I've come to: I have a million freaking ideas, and probably a lot of good ones. But what's stopping me is that they're still all just ideas. No, I may not have written anything terrible, but I also haven't converted a single good thought into a published product. And that's the real crime.

My point is that I need to just write. However, that's not to say I don't have some ideas about what I want to write about:

1) Finance
I might tackle questions like "What's going on the in the global markets today?" Or "Should I buy that new pair of shoes?" Or put another way: How financial choices can add or take away value from our lives.

2) Globalization
The world is becoming more connected every day. Case in point: I was Skyped the other day by a lady in China who just wanted to make a friend. That's crazy. In fact, I have a post I've prepared specially for this topic...The topic being Globalization, not Chinese Skypers.

3) Charity
Why do people give? And more importantly, how the heck do we decide who to trust with our time and money? I think the whole idea of giving and philanthropy is going to become increasingly complex and sophisticated in our lifetime.

4) Faith in practice
Good idea, isn't it? It's like when Ghandi was asked what he thought of Western Civilization. Pardon the cynicism. I just hope action holds more persuasion than words someday. (OK, starting with me.)

5) Priorities
How should I spend every waking hour of my life? (or even the sleeping ones.) There are so many choices we have to make every year, or every 3 seconds. Like I'm writing this blog now when there are (at least) a dozen things I could be, even should be, doing. Why is it so important to me? I think this ties in with values and
how those forces drive people to do what they do.

6) Academics
The world of Academics is so cool. Not to be nerdy or trite, but it really is pretty amazing how it can connect so many people across fields and cultures. Education has the power to unite people. Remember that, friend.

7) Music, Family, Relationships
Gosh, I'm just throwing all these together, but they're all kind of the same. They're all things we listen to, things that move and inspire us, things that can really ruin a moment if timed right.


So to summarize, pretty much anything is game. I hope it evolves into an intriguing commentary of life's enigmatic moments, and inspires others to believe they too can write their own blog, about anything...at least anything not listed in the 7 bullets above.

Thanks for coming on this journey with me. Buckle up.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have a question to start us out. What would it be like if someone commented on this post?